12 February 2007

progress and less paperwork needed

I surprised the guy at Left Bank Books with the speed that I sorted and boxed his second group of accumulated discards. I was half done in just 2 hours. With the books I got from Subterranean Books I rounded out another load to take to storage. On the way it started raining. I covered the boxes with a tarp. They predict 5 inches of snow.

I spent some more time measuring pallets and graphing a floor plan for the container, as I am so far along in the process I don't want any wasted time and effort on loading day. An 8'x8'x20' mountain of books will be substantial. I just laughed at the enormity of this essentially one-man project.

My PC-Ro colleague continues to work on his end researching and establishing what we both need to do - and hopefully finding success in raising the money. Apparently the certification of patrimony is not necessary (my theory is they think "how can books from such a new place - America - have historic value?" LOL), but I think I'm going to cobble one together, just for fun and send it back with the official invitation they do need. And it seems Romanian customs laws will continue to let books in without duty.

I've decided to try to work out being in Romania the accept the container as it arrives. Once the container is sent off they say I'll be told the ship name, captain's name, and transit progress along with scheduled date of arrival.

14

No comments: